Monday, March 10, 2014

The Least of These

Last week, I had a trying day. I was taking a shuttle from Antigua to Panajachel and had 2 1/2 hours to kill as I waited for my van to leave. I decided to walk for a while since i would be sitting in cramped quarters for a couple of hours. As I walked, I noticed more beggars than I have ever seen in Antigua. I am sure they were always there but because I am usually there when a lot of tourists are around, I usually did not notice them all that much. After walking, I went to sit down in the Central Park for a while and had to turn down 15 different shoe shines in a half hour. I believe that God was opening my eyes to the people around me.

I was praying about all of these things as I walked, sat and rode the shuttle. I asked God what I could do that would have a real impact on the lives of these people. If I just gave out a dollar or two to each one, I would be out of money before the day was over and they would not have any lasting benefit from it. I could pray for them or maybe share the Gospel and that would be good but it would not fill their stomach. What could I do that would really impact them both in the here and now as well as for eternity? I prayed but did not receive any insight.

Two days later, I was at a children's home where I had gone to visit a friend. In the morning, I went with Jean as he was taking the preschoolers to their school so I could get a boat to take me across the lake. as I went to the house where the younger kids lived, they mobbed me. I had my hand held, received numerous hugs, put shoes on children and had on ask me to hold him as we drove in to the school. What a 40 minute experience.

I felt God clearly spoke the answer to my earlier prayer. I love those kids even though I seldom see them. My heart is full when I am around them and I just want to give them what they ask for even when it is inconvenient.Just being around so many little ones brings me joy. That is how God feels about the people on the streets begging or doing menial jobs that cannot support them. He loves them and when they look to Him, it makes His heart full. He wants to be their Abba, Father. Daddy.

God the Father, wants us to learn to see all people that He has created in that way. He has created them with worth, purpose and dignity whether they recognize it or not. He wants us to see people through His eyes, be filled with His love and act toward them out out hearts that are full. God does not have step-children. He wants all to come into His household and experience His love as adopted sons and daughters. He calls us to know no man after the flesh so that we can treat them in a way that points them to this love. We cannot, in the natural see all people this way. We all have some people group that we have a hard time with but Jesus laid down His life so that we could love them all. How do you see people today?

Nick and Amy Marcoux came with the For River group last Thursday and will be here until the end of the week. It has been great getting to spend time with old friends and work on things together. This week, they will be going to build a couple of stoves in Zapote and make a few changes to the aquaponics project to see if production can be increased. last week they disassembled,  moved and rebuild the storage building in Membrial. Pray that they would see how God can use them to change lives and build His kingdom while they are here.

I will be here until April 15 and then returning to Illinois for a few weeks. I will return here to resume working with teams for the months of June, July and August.  I will need to continue to raise support for the work we are doing. If you would consider supporting me financially, as well as in prayer, it would be greatly appreciated. I need to raise about $4,500 for the last three months of this time. Checks can be sent to: My Father's House of Prayer C/O Guatemala Missions P.O. Box 679  Morris, IL 60450  Checks can be made out to MFHOP.

No comments:

Post a Comment