Thursday, March 5, 2015

What are you giving?

This has been a tiring few weeks. We have had teams, moved countless wheelbarrows of dirt down a hill only to he to walk back up and shovel more, had  a concert with Peter Furler, and poured a Church floor in Membrillal only to have the portion over the cistern collapse and have to be re-poured. I am not complaining. As a matter of fact, I have enjoyed most of it. I especially enjoy every day that I get to go to one of the schools and spend time interacting with the kids. I get to do that often. I am just saying that I am tired.

I wanted to share a revelation this morning that I received while listening to a message by my pastor back in the States, Jon Nebbeling. He was talking about the feeding of the 5,000 men plus all that were with them. I was struck by Andrew as he shared the story. We have all heard it countless times but it impacted me this morning as a new way. Andrew brought a boy that have 5 small loaves and 2 fish to feed thousands. I am sure the disciples laughed but not Jesus. For Him, it was the launching point. He said, "Tell them to sit down".

This story got me thinking about the need around me and what I have to offer, or more correctly do not offer because it seems so small. How many times have I held back because what I had seemed barely enough to meet my need let alone that of anyone else. Whether I am in Illinois or Guatemala, I am surrounded by people with such large needs that I feel completely inadequate. I let that feeling keep me from offering to God what I do have. I am stopped by what my senses dictate.

Do you ever do that? Do you ever hold back because you know that there is no way you have what is needed for the task? What should our response be?

As I was thinking about this, I came to a conclusion. The things God is calling us to will always leave us feeling inadequate. We will never have enough to accomplish it. Our gifts, talents and resources will never be enough. You might ask why that is. If I can do it without God, I can take the glory for it. He wants to do things that we cannot do in our own strength. But, He also wants us to participate in what He is doing. The way that we do that is to bring whatever we have and offer it to Him completely. When we offer the little we have, He tells the people to sit down and then begins to multiply our little to meet their need. God is the one who multiplies. We are only called to offer Him what we do have. He knows our limits but those are the very things that He uses to bring Himself glory.

What area are you feeling drawn to today? What frightens you about going into it? Step out. Offer God what you do have, knowing that it is completely insufficient to meet the need and then watch Him multiply your offering.

No comments:

Post a Comment