Friday, March 21, 2014

Wet underwear

Fox River was here last week and I had a great time with friends. I have not been able to spend much time with the Marcouxs or Andrew for a while because at home we had so many conflicts in schedules that it is hard to get together. I was glad that they came and we got to work and hang out for a week. I was also grateful that they brought Dennis with them because I saw a spark in Tono's eyes that I have not seen for a while. Seeing someone with understanding of how things grow and working with him for the week was a blessing and an encouragement for my friend.

This week was an entirely different week for me. We went to Zapote to support a Kid's Alive/Oasis medical team from South Carolina.The first two days, I went and cleaned on the Food Machine because the panels had turned from white to green and brown.It is not the most glamorous job in the world but it needed to be done. By the end of the day I smelled like decayed plants, fish poop and sweat. I know that is an attractive picture but I got to ride home in the truck for 1 1/2 hours with 4 other people. They must of loved me. At least on the second day Rudy and Adolpho helped so I did not stink alone.

Wednesday and Thursday were different though. My job was to police the hall where people lined up for the clinic and keep them from trying to sneak in ahead of their turn. I did not have a lot of vision for this being a great experience but God had another plan for the day. Children were coming through with their families and had long waits to see the doctors and dentist. you cannot keep a 4 or 10 year old just sitting with nothing to do for 3 hours. As the day wore on, they grew restless and I started playing with them, chasing them in the confined space away from the "old people", playing with a beach ball and just being silly. By the end of the day I realized that I had an amazing day.

I love kids and those that know me know that they have always had my heart. Often, in a group, I would wonder away from adults and just hang out with the little ones. There is something about the simplicity of how they see things that I love to be around. it refreshes me and gives me energy. it also makes me pray that God will show us how to love and honor them in a way that they will be able to grow up different, without the cynical attitudes that the older generation has, to keep a childlike faith and hope alive in them.

God has taught me this week to look for signs of His life contacting mine each day and to be thankful whether I am in soggy underwear from the 95 degree temperatures, smelling like fish poop or if I am playing with children.Right now he is telling me that I need to be thankful for the 65 degree morning where I can sit with my feet up and relax with a cup of coffee. Soon enough, it will be time to get ready for the 22 people coming to stay with me next week and work on the school.

Remember to be thankful in all things. God is at work.

I will be here until April 15 and then returning to Illinois for a few weeks. I will return here to resume working with teams for the months of June, July and August.  I will need to continue to raise support for the work we are doing. If you would consider supporting me financially, as well as in prayer, it would be greatly appreciated. I need to raise about $4,500 for the last three months of this time. Checks can be sent to: My Father's House of Prayer C/O Guatemala Missions P.O. Box 679  Morris, IL 60450  Checks can be made out to MFHOP.

No comments:

Post a Comment